I’m always trying to discover the best books for the outdoorsy little boys in my life. We have a few in the rotation that are our current nighttime reads–and would love suggestions on some new ones. We’re fans of both the classics and new releases.
If you’re looking for a new picture book for a toddler and preschooler, these are great, mostly funny—and in no particular order.
- We Love Fishing! By Ariel Bernstein, illustrated by Marc Rosenthal
This book was released in 2021, but it feels like an oldie. The little squirrel will have your little ones laughing–especially over the surprise ending.
2. Duck Tents by Lynne Berry, illustrated by Hiroe Nakata
3. When we go Camping by Margiet Ruurs, illustrated by Andrew Kiss
4. Camping Day by Patricia Lakin, illustrated by Scott Nash
This one is sure to have your little ones laughing at the crocodiles–they never realize they’re just scared of their shadow!
5. The Hike by Alison Farrell
6. A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee by Chris Van Dusen
I can’t say enough good things about this one. It’s a staple in our house–even though Mr. Magee doesn’t pack his food up at the campsite!
7. Just Me and My Dad by Mercer Mayer
This book is a classic, and of course, dads will love it!
8.Do Princesses and Super Heroes Hit the Trails? By Carmela LaVigna Coyle, illustrated by Mike Gordon